Rhode Island may be the smallest state in the nation, but it is also one of the most industrialized, depending on trucks for much of its business and commerce. For this reason, truck accidents on Rhode Island roadways are all too common. If you have been seriously injured in a truck accident in Rhode Island, the Law Offices of William Kolb are here to provide the strong, compassionate legal representation you deserve.
Because trucks may be 20 times heavier than cars, truck accidents often result in catastrophic injuries for drivers and passengers of other vehicles when the two collide. As long as your injury resulted from the negligence or recklessness of another party, we can file a civil lawsuit for damages.
We have comprehensive knowledge of federal and state personal injury law and the well-developed litigation skills to see to it that you receive maximum compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, and all costs related to your injury. As soon as you contact us, we will start working on your case.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Rhode Island
Truck accidents share contributory causes with other types of traffic accidents, including poor visibility, bad weather, improperly maintained roads, defective automotive parts, and animals suddenly appearing on the roadway.
In any event, if the accident in which you suffered harm was caused by the negligence of, for example, an auto manufacturer or a government agency, our legal team will be able to target the offending party with a liability claim. In most cases, however, we will sue the truck company and/or driver if the cause of your injury was:
- Speeding: Pressured by tight schedules and traffic they cannot control, truck drivers may speed to get to their destinations on time since their job depends on their efficiency.
- Driver fatigue: Truck drivers must adhere to strict delivery deadlines and drive for extended periods of time so they are much more likely to be fatigued than other drivers.
- Distracted driving: Truckers rely on smartphones to keep in touch with their dispatchers and GPS devices to get to their destinations so they tend to be distracted by frequent electronic interruptions.
- Driving under the influence: Because of fatigue and boredom, some truckers use stimulants and illegal substances to stay awake on long trips so overuse or side effects may negatively impact their driving.
- Improper loading: Trucks are more difficult to maneuver and control than other vehicles and are more likely to become imbalanced and roll over, especially if they have been improperly loaded.
- Improper maintenance: Although the law requires trucking companies to perform regular inspections and maintain their vehicles according to strict standards, it is not unusual for shortcuts to be taken when companies put profits ahead of safety concerns.
- Inexperienced drivers: Because inexperienced truck drivers are paid less, trucking companies may prefer to put them on the road to cut costs.
- Poor weather and road conditions: For trucking companies, “the show must go on” so truckers are often forced to drive in spite of hazardous weather.
Types of Truck Accidents
Although trucks are heavy and durable, often balanced on many more than four wheels, they are cumbersome and more difficult to maneuver than smaller vehicles, and are prone to the following kinds of accidents:
- Rollovers: Rollovers can occur when a truck is speeding, swerves suddenly, is on a steep incline or hits a curb.
- Jackknifes: Jackknifes may occur when the axle brakes lock, causing the trailer to skid and stop at a 90-degree angle.
- Brake failures: Because of the heavy mileage put on commercial trucks, their brakes must be carefully maintained and their drivers must avoid poor usage (e.g. slamming on the brakes) to avoid the dangers of brake failure.
- Blind-spot accidents: Both truck drivers and those sharing the road with them must be alert to the fact that trucks have considerably larger blind spots than smaller vehicles in order to avoid accidents.
- Rear-end collisions: Because of the weight differential between vehicles, if a tractor-trailer runs into the back of a car, catastrophic injuries or fatalities may result.
- Wide turns: The longer the truck, the larger the turning radius, so if a truck driver misjudges the space needed to complete a turn, the results can be horrific.
What William Kolb Can Do for You
Our truck accident attorneys are adept at determining liability and creating winning strategies to recover damages. Once you become our client, we will:
- Thoroughly investigate the site of the accident
- Collaborate with experienced accident reconstruction specialists
- Inspect and photograph the damage to your vehicle
- Pore over police reports and your medical data
- Interview witnesses
- Consult with experts prepared to testify on your behalf
Truck Accident Claims Can Be Complicated
Because truck accidents typically involve trucking companies as well as individual drivers, they require more complex negotiations, both with opposing, often high-powered, attorneys and insurance companies used to denying liability or lowballing settlements.
Our truck accident attorneys are fully informed about the protocol trucking companies are legally required to follow so we will hold them accountable if they have been negligent by failing to: vet the driver, inspect the vehicle or repair it properly or provide the driver with sufficient breaks.
Damages We Will Fight to Recover for Your Truck Accident Injuries
Depending on your particular circumstances, including the nature of your injuries, your medical prognosis and presumed future needs, and your family obligations, we will seek damages for some or all of the following:
- Lost income
- Loss of earning capacity
- Medical and rehabilitation costs
- Property damage or loss
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Permanent disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If you have lost a loved one to wrongful death in a truck accident in Rhode Island, we will seek damages for final medical costs, funeral and burial/cremation costs, and loss of financial and emotional support.
Contact Our Experienced Truck Accident Lawyers
Our truck accident attorneys have the strong skill set needed to fight for your rights. We also have an impressive history of successful outcomes. Whether you have suffered a broken leg, severe burns, a traumatic brain injury, or some other life-altering challenge, we are here to help. Aware of the trauma you have endured and how it is affecting you — physically, emotionally, and financially — we will charge you no attorneys’ fees until we win you damages. Contact the Law Offices of William M. Kolb today!